Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Prayers of a Great Grandmother

Yesterday, I gave my first message at a memorial service. I was suprised to be asked intially that they would want me to give the message for a great grandmother, being that I am youth pastor. I was asked to give the message because this great grandma had several great grandchildren that she was praying for and the family knew that she would want a young pastor to deliver a salvation message that would be relevant to the younger generation. It was quite an honor to say the least.

At the end of her life she was lying on her death bed in the hospital under sedation. She was unconsious for several days and shortly before she died she came to and uttered her last words. She said something to the effect of, "Lord save my children, have mercy on my children, bless them, show them salvation." She then fell back asleep and breathed her last breathe in this life, to wake up in glory.

She died, but her prayers haven't. One of her great grandchildren gave his heart to Jesus. You could see the love of God touching his life and he was truely broken as he accepted Christ as his saviour and asked for the forgiveness of his sin. Psalm 78:4 (NKJV), "We will not hide them from their children, telling them to the generation to come the praises of the Lord, and His strength and His wonderful works that He has done." It was powerful to witness to the passing of truth from one generation to the next.

No comments: